Tuesday, June 24, 2008

KETCHUP

okay, so I haven't written in a few days, which feels really strange, like months have passed, but... I'm not going home just yet.. The last few days have been a world wind! I took the placement test and will find out what level i go into tomorrow. I'm not nervous, i just want to do well!!

Yesterday (6-23-08)

I went to a bookstore in Kamnam (NYC-like sect. of Seoul) and I bought 4 books and 2 magazines. They were really heavy, so I decided to take a cab ""home"" from the train station when I finally got a cab, the guy drove like a MANIAC!! I was trying to give him directions, which was NOT working at all, so I just told him to pullover and stop; I figured I knew where I was, very close-ish to the apartment. I WASN'T all that close. I definitely spent the next 1/2 hour roaming around the vicinity of the apartment, started to cry, THAT WAS AWESOME. A woman on the street basically said she knew someone who could speak English or at least knew what Apartment complex I was talking about. So I followed her upstairs to a taekwondo studio and I was trying hard to "keep it together" while she was running down hallways, looking for people. Then she was somewhat talking to a young guy who was somewhat talking to an older man, And i noticed the kids pointing at me and whispering, and I felt embarrassed enough, and the tears started a bit, then they (the kids) started laughing (i have no Idea if it WAS me or my body language, or something completely different...); but I lost it and managed to get out Thank you, Thank you in mumbled Korean and shot out down the stairs. Now this is EXACTLY what I had told myself Not to do. I know that being lost (for the most part, [as an adult]) is Not the end of the world!! But Anxiety just kinda kicked in High Gear and off I went into semi panick mode. I ended up finding the main drag that the apartment complex is behind, so I walked about 1/4 of a mile down the street and was finally there. I didn't want to take the bus from the train station, b/c the books were so heavy and I didn't want to walk back to the apt. with the books; but I ended up doing it (and then some) anyway, so I would just like to quote Frida Kahlo....
"At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can". Well put!!!! Frida.


Today (6-24-08)

I hung out with my friend Tae-Min (or Tim). We lived down the street from each other when he was in the states studying English, so we got to hang out a bunch. He's on his summer break now, so that is perfect timing for me. We went to the Samsung Art Museum, which was pretty awesome! There was a piece there by Yoshitomo Nara, so I was super pumped to see a piece of his live!!!! There was a lot of work from past Dynasty's so that was very cool too, for the most part pottery. It was a very good time.

Tomorrow I'll study with the books I bought in Kamnam and then probably meet up with my Aun-ni (older sister in Korean, for a girl.... it's Nuna [Noo-Na] for a guy); but anyhoo my Aunni Soo-Young. She is very much an older sister and watches out for me. She is a jazz pianist, but also gives lessons, so inbetween her lessons I think we will have lunch maybe...

Posting up bulk pictures is a bit tedious here, So I may open a photobucket or flickr account and add links so everyone can "SEE" what I've been up to. p.s. I have recently become addicted to the Hills, Thank you iTunes!!!!!!

I'm also moving to the new homestay house soon, July 1st. So that is also exciting. I've started packing, I like to be prepared in advanced when it comes to packing.... unlike some people I know......... hehe.

alright then. Very Pago-Pa (pago-pa [casual....pago-pi-yo-honorific]) = I'm Hungry.
so I am going to get a snack, do some art, pack a little more and go to bed.

Encountering those unfriendly children the other day, made me miss my afterschool friends even more. I know you guys are out of school now, but i hope you're summer is starting out Great!
Hi and I DEFINITELY MISS YOU to ......
Sophie M.
Elsa
Sophie L.
Mari
Peter L.
Charlotte!

I'm not sure if any of my other friends have access to the korea blog, but if you do and I didn't list you, I'm very sure I miss you too!!!!!

x's and o's
노미

10 comments:

Aunti Val said...

Good morning, Peaches - Wanted to say hi! Sounds like you had a day and a half the other day - and driving like a maniac on some foreign street! Reminds me of crazy driving in Barbado's! But that's all by n by and I'm really happy you got to see Tim. Please say Hello to him for me! Love you and I hope that your day goes well and that you get really good news on your placement! Love you a Wicked Lot!!

Love - Mummy xoxo

AL said...

dear PF, typing on this thing is a pain -- I just lost this glorious letter and it disappeared when I logged in. Sigh.
Anyway, I am glad you survived your adventure. There are 3 important lessons learned: first, do not carry anything heavy! Second, a confused expression and tears always bring out hordes of helpful people. Third, don't follow anyone into a building.
So tell me, where are you moving to? And how far from where you are?
And how much do you miss me and Bob? Yeah, sure. BTW, I found some photos of you as a baby. So cute! And so am I... younger, thinner, and with my natural hair color! LOL! Miss you, love you, AL

PS -- crazy drivers? Hmmm, I have experienced many nutty cab drivers over the years. There should be a contest to see which country or city is the worst.

AL said...

Meow! purr purr...
hmmpurrlicklickpurrrrrr!
Forrest

......................
Sammi

Translation:
Hi! I think you're great.
Miss you and love you,
Forrest.
........................

(silence)
Sammi

Aunti Val said...

Ditto to Aunti Lynn's important lesson number 3. Please adhere to that one! She's so smaht!
(Just thought I'd toss in a little Boston accent for yah to make your smile!)

Hugs & Kisses - Mummy xoxo

Aunti Val said...

Actually, that's Bahs-tun to you!

Te` said...

Rule #3 is actually Rule # 1... Please never again or your poor aunti's & mum will have to be resussitated. huh!!! A L has a comment... rule #1 a. If u r so desperately lost...get a taxi 1 B. tell the driver the name of a major hotel in the city..like Hilton. all cabbies know how to get there regardless of language. (remember this is A L.directing me to type) 1C. go into big hotel lobby go to a tele & call host family. They will come get you.

Te` said...

Me again. I think you are a very brave young woman. Off learning & exploring. Just remember to use your city instincts. Continue to enjoy & yes, to share it with all of us who miss you. It's night here so I'll say sweet dreams. muwah.

Aunti Val said...

The two of you are like a current addition of "who's on first"!!

Daddy said...

Well, did we hear back on the testing yet??

Grandpa said...

Hi Naomi:

Your Mom and Ryan are visiting in NJ this weekend. We're going to have fun!!

Mom drove down all by herself!! She did not get lost!! Yea Columbus!!

Love you and will talk to you later!

Grandpa